Download the FREE PDF for this section.
We want to learn how to share our faith, and stories are a powerful way of sharing Jesus as a way of life. This section of Living and Telling is about the Story of Everything (God’s Big Story), and it should take 60-90 minutes to complete. Here we will walk through the main parts of the Story of Everything, and to learn how to help people. The goal is to understand God’s Big Story that we are currently living in. What is God doing? Who are We? What has God done? And what should we do in response?>
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Watch all four videos starting with Question One, (20 min)
- As you watch each video, discuss the relevant questions pertaining to that video.
BACKGROUND Share the following to start the group session
The story of Everything is God’s Big Story. It is a story of origins, a story of the human condition, and it’s a story of God’s wonderful plan to eradicate evil in human history and restore relationship with people. This section ends with a call to action for every human being, namely to respond to God’s invitation to be restored to relationship with Him, and so the final video talks about how to begin a relationship with God.
Believers already have a relationship with God, but we also need to know how to share this message with other people. In order for us to obey Jesus fully, we need to be able to help others understand the vital importance of having a relationship with God. This section is designed to help us have a framework of what needs to be communicated to people so that they have a basic knowledge of God’s Big Story and to help them know what they need to do to experience it.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. —John 3:16-17
The whole Living and Telling series works together to empower us for mission through understanding God’s story, our story, and other people’s stories. When we are equipped with these tools, we can navigate just about any conversation with an appropriate level of knowledge to lead them to Jesus.
WATCH THE STORY OF EVERYTHING VIDEOS
Watch The Story of Everything intro video. This will help set up the main idea for your group. As you watch each video, answer the questions included with that video. We included those questions here for your convenience.
- Video – Question 1. Who is God? Gen 1:1 Gen 1:26 Col 1:16-17 1 Tim 1:17
- What makes sense to you about the idea of all of us being in the middle of a Big Story? How does it make you feel?
- What do you like/not like about the idea of there being a God who is the Author?
- Humans flourish when we are meeting the needs of others and have our needs met by God andby others. How have you experienced this?
- Video – Question 2. Who are We? Romans 3:23 Romans 6:23 Isaiah 59:2a
- Even though we want the world to be different, we struggle to change even the little things aboutourselves that we know aren’t right. How have you experienced this?
- How have you seen your own imperfections (or selfishness) cause harm to you or to others?
- How did our choice to go our own selfish way actually distort God’s original design?
- Why does sin lead to death?Note: Evil is not a thing or a substance, rather it is a lack of good. If the greatest good is love, then a lack of love is evil.
- Video – Question 3. What Has God Done?· Col 1:15 Romans 5:8 1 Cor 15:3-6 John 14:6
- How did God enter into our story?
- What was God’s objective in sending Jesus? What did God accomplish through Jesus?
- Why do you think God declares that Jesus is the only way to have a relationship with God?
Note: If you want to have a relationship with a person, you go to that person and not to/through someone else. You can’t have a relationship with Jesus by having a relationship with another god.
- Video – Question 4. What Should We Do? 1 John 1:9 Romans 10:9 Hebrews 4:16
- Do you want to begin a relationship with God?
- What steps do we need to take to do this?
- Who could you share this message with right now?
THE FOLLOWING EXPLAINS HOW YOU CAN RECEIVE CHRIST:
You can receive Christ right now by faith and through prayer. Prayer is talking with God
God knows your heart and is not so concerned with your words as He is with the attitude of your heart. the following is a suggested prayer: “Lord Jesus, I want to know You personally. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord. Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Take control of the throne of my life. Make me the kind of person You want me to be.”
Does this prayer express the desire of your heart? If it does, pray this prayer right now, and Christ will come into your life, as He promised.
You can know on the basis of His promise that Christ lives in you and that you have eternal life, from the very moment you invite Him in. He will not deceive you.
THE BIBLE PROMISES ETERNAL LIFE TO ALL WHO RECEIVE CHRIST
You have begun a new life of becoming a student of Jesus. The rest of our lives is one where we take steps to become more like Jesus.
“And the witness is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His son. He who has the son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life.”
1 John 5:11-13
Thank God often that Christ is in your life and that He will never leave you.